1. How are poly bags measured? Inside dimensions are used when measuring poly bags. The three most common bag constructions are measured as follows:
- FLAT BAG dimensions are expressed as Width x Length (W x L)
- SIDE GUSSET bag dimensions are expressed as Width x Depth x Length (W x D x L)
- BOTTOM GUSSET bag dimensions are expressed as Width x Length + Bottom Gusset (W x L + BG)
2. How do I determine correct size bag? To line a SQUARE or RECTANGULAR container - Add the item's width (long side) plus depth (short side) plus 1" to 2" to give the bag's width. Add the item's height pit of the depth plus 3" to 5" to for overhang to give the bag's length. If you are sealing the bag or putting an item in the bag (rather than lining a container) add another 1/2" of the depth to the length.
To line a ROUND container - The bag width is the item's circumference. plus 1" to 2" for easy loading. (The circumference is the distance around the widest part and can be measured with a flexible tape measure or computed by measuring the distance across the widest part and multiplying that by 3.14) The bag length is the item's height plus 1/2" its diameter, plus 3' to 5" for overhang. If you are sealing the bag or putting a round item In a bag (rather than lining a container) add another 1/2" of the diameter to the length.